Kinetics has been chosen for a second year in a row to lead conversation on Black Church Activism in the Digital Era at SXSW Interactive Festival. We will be in conversation with my brother, friend, scholar, activist and preacher, Rev. Dr. Ralph Watkins, Associate Professor of Evangelism and Church Growth at Columbia Theological Seminary
The Black church has been central to every major political and social movement in the African American community.
What will be the impact of social media on Black Church activism in the digital age?
Questions to be explored
- What role can social media play to awakened the present generation?
- What are the major challenges facing black church activism today?
- How are your organizations using social media to organize (advocate)?
- Civli Rights Activist, Ella Baker, was critical of the male-led messianic leadership-stlye of the Civil Rights Movement and the Black church. How can social media change this landscape? Do you see it leveling the playing field for women to lead?
- How has the growing influence of prosperity gospel among Black churches impacted Black church related activism?